As I write this, I’m incredibly aware of just how lucky we are. Just a handful of months ago we were we facing our fourth anniversary of living and working in London and questioning what our next step should look like. Making the choice to give up decently paid jobs in the city for a nomadic life of unemployment came to us like a flash of lightening, it was crazy and scary but a surprisingly easy decision to make. It felt natural and ‘right’, and since then the moments of ‘what did we do?!’ have been very brief and far between.

Right now, we’re sat on our balcony surrounded by the awe-inspiring views of the Quindio region of Colombia. The imposing green mountains spread out around us, so high that the clouds come and kiss their peaks as they roll on by. In no two moments is the view the same, changing drastically with the mood of the weather. A seemingly peaceful vista twists as the moving mist envelopes it, and suddenly all that can be seen are eerily suggestions of shape, as we find ourselves in the sky.

Bird song forms the theme tune of this little slice of heaven and if we peer into the trees close by we can make out the quick little bodies of hummingbirds feasting on the flowers.

I don’t write this to cause envy, I’m just so grateful that we’ve had the opportunity to witness this wonderful part of our world. Six months ago I was sat in a dark little office in London, questioning what I was doing with my life, acknowledging that I wasn’t on the right path but not really knowing what to do about it. What a difference those six months have made.

The lesson I want to share with you is this: always follow your instincts and that gut feeling in your belly. I’m not suggesting that you do the same as us – quitting your job isn’t a sure route to happiness, and travelling won’t solve all your woes. It’s so easy though to be afraid of change, so many of us dig in those heels and refuse to move. We question what our instincts tell us, and fall into that dangerous trap of overthinking the myriad of outcomes that may or may not happen. Suddenly we take a breath and realise that so much of life has passed us by.

I don’t know where Phil and I will be in another six months, I don’t even know where will will be this time next week, but I do know that whatever happens we made the right choice in that moment. Don’t be afraid of change, I know it’s not always easy, but I urge you to embrace it, whatever it brings it’s sure to be one heck of a ride.

Pleased to be linking up with:

Two Traveling Texans

Vicky

Hola! Vicky here :)

9 Comments

Janine Good · November 15, 2017 at 10:09 pm

great post! I can kinda relate with quitting my job to travel. I did it as a risk and found happiness, my husband and other answers along the way! Hope to see you at Fly Away Friday this week!

Vicky · November 17, 2017 at 12:51 pm

So pleased to hear it all worked out! Thanks for your inspirational comment.

Kana · November 15, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Trusting my instincts was the best thing I’ve ever done but I also know how difficult it is. It’s great to take some time to feel grateful, though! Thanks for joining Fly Away Friday – hope to see you again this weekend! xo

Rob+Ann @TravelLatte(.net) · November 7, 2017 at 8:58 pm

It can be really hard to make that leap of faith. But, I suppose, if you do have faith, you’ll land on your feet, right? Even if you don’t, you’ve learned something about life and yourself, and that’s good too. For some it’s the fear of the unknown, for others the comfort of the known. Good luck to you, and to everyone who’s eyeing that leap. 🙂

Vicky · November 10, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Thanks so much for your comment. “If you do what you’ve always done, you will get what you’ve always got”…sometimes you need to go beyond your comfort zone to experience something new. I might go well, or badly, but you’re right, it’s all an important life lesson!

Elaine J Masters · November 6, 2017 at 5:24 am

Yes. Trust your instincts. Started doing that in my 20’s and its led to an amazing life. Not always easy but wonder Full. I wish you all the best.

Vicky · November 10, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for dropping by Elaine, and for your kind and inspiring words!

Anisa · November 4, 2017 at 4:19 pm

So glad things are working out for you guys and exciting to see what the future has in store for you. Thanks for sharing your story on #TheWeeklyPostcard.

Vicky · November 10, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Anisa, we’re excited too! Every day is so different at the moment, so much to learn and process!